April 22, 2010

Lupe Fiasco is (still) a pretty cool guy.

When did things start to go so horribly, horribly wrong in hip-hop? When did ingeniously eloquent rapping and mind-blowing experimentation with sound take a backseat to lazy musical hooks and bland, insipid paeans to girls and booze and bling and big shiny cars and... well, you get the idea.

Yep, for a while it really looked like hip-hop was doomed to die a slow, painful, tastelessly autotuned death... not that it hasn't already.

But holy crap. Four years ago.



Oh man.

Oh man, oh man, oh man.

To put this into easy-to-understand chick terms, OMG I love this song!!1!

Like damn, I cannot stress enough how this song and this guy were such a revelation to me then.

I mean, how can somebody be zen enough to turn this...


... to that?! Like, whoa.

I mean, how many honest-to-goodness rappers do you see around who still dare to push the envelope with the genre? How many do you see who do what they can to stay faithful to hip-hop's original subversive roots, aren't above sampling white boy music or dabbling in strange, new cultural realms all for the sake of ahht?

Kanye West, imma let you finish
Of course what really sells this song for me was how much it tied into 2006, one of my more fertile "musical experimentation" years.

my CD choices circa 2006I had a very odd concept of musical experimentation then.
(And yes, I do keep an inventory of my CDs in Microsoft Excel. Shaddup.)


And wow, I just discovered that it was Lupe Fiasco who performed the insanely popular "Superstar."

Ladies and gentlemen, the revenge of the hip-hop geek is in your homes.

No comments:

Post a Comment