April 18, 2010

Minis Bi-Weekly: The Debut!

I've decided to experiment with a new feature on this pitiful excuse for a blog: Every two weeks I'm going to shine a spotlight on one of the myriad little plastic doodads I seem to amass in plentiful supply in my wee shack.

For the following fortnight I'm going to carry a camera and the unfortunate little inanimate critter around with me whenever I can and see if I can make hijinks ensue. Failing that... well, a brief history of the thingy will be in order, I guess.

Why two weeks? Because a mini a day is too intensive even for me, a mini a month is too long a wait, and a mini a week is... already a bit too much work for me. (Yeah, I'm hopelessly lazy. So sue me.)

Of course, the doodads don't necessarily have to plastic. (They can be any other material, like wood or plush or gold-plated titanium or something.) Neither do they have to be "doodads." (I am also receptive to tchotchkes, gizmos, doohickeys, thingamabobs, whatchamacallits and other miscellaneous bits of weirdness.)

The only requirement is that the featured object must be a mini (meaning it must not outsize this random jar of choco hazelnut spread at my side right now), and it must be mine (meaning it is either in my possession or somewhere in the immediate vicinity of my person... but I'm not picky).

The Axilog14 Gift GuideNow where does this sound familiar?

In any case, this fortnightly feature shall thus be called Minis Bi-Weekly. Because hey, it rhymes!

For this first installment of Minis Bi-Weekly, I bring you a newly-introduced comedy classic from the annals of Minimate collectordom. Straight from the screen and into articulated block form, let us all give a warm round of applause to...

... the X-Men Origins: Wolverine Toys 'R' Us wave 2 exclusive
Final Battle Deadpool Minimate!!!


Barakapool the Minimate!"Mmmmfffggnnnmmmf."


















(*crickets*)


Okay, a little background for all you uninitiated out there:

Just a little over a year ago, word got out that the 26th wave of Marvel Minimates was going to be based on characters from the X-Men Origins: Wolverine movie. At the time speculation was still running wild on the who's who of mutant cameos that were supposed to be showing up in this rendition of the X-Men's favorite snarly Canuck's origin story.

A mere month later, this poopstorm erupted.

Long story short is that some spoileriffic previews of screenshots and merch had confirmed that Deadpool, one of the most highly-anticipated cameos in the movie, was going to be undergoing a very un-Deadpool-y transformation somewhere in the course of the movie's plot.

Attempts have been made to make this horrible, horrible thing go away! rationalize the logic behind this news tidbit. Debates over the wardrobe aspect of pragmatic film adaptations of comics-based works were instigated anew. And fanboys the world over were practically seething, nay, frothing with RAEG.
As for his blades, they aren't that big of a deal to me. But I am not the typical comic fan that gets super upset when simple changes occur. Instead of swords, he has his own body blades. Not that huge to me.

But I am not the typical comic fan that gets super upset when simple changes occur.

when simple changes occur.

simple changes

Deadpool vs. Barakapool, by McDurg

And thanks to an opportune tie-in exclusive deal with (the U.S.-based) Toys 'R' Us, we had our own Minimate version of Barakapool this confounding mutation of the original Deadpool.

Needless to say, the disgruntled fanboys I will have a lot of fun with this Minimate.

1 comment: