April 1, 2010

Plastic Pr0n: Join the orgy!

For some perverse reason, there is just something so pleasing and irresistible about toys lovingly arranged and displayed in absurdly large numbers.

This was a wallpaper I downloaded from Toy2r's website a few years ago, starring an unholy smorgasbord of Qees.

Qee collection wallpaper
As embarrassing as it would be to admit, this seemingly innocent-looking wallpaper was partly responsible for me going down that slippery slope of urban vinyl collecting a little while back. While I'm no longer as active in that "scene" as I used to, I still hold a high regard for a lot of luminaries in that visually subversive field. It certainly helps that urban vinyl as an entity is about as protean as Mystique at a cosplay meet-up.

This is a strip from the quite funny, ironically-named (and ridiculously prolific) Irregular Webcomic! Pay close attention to the second-to-the-last panel (spoiler alert, by the way).


(I like me my webcomics. This particular Irregular Webcomic! arc was some real silly, earth-shattering kablooie! fun. And David Morgan-Mar really is one of the most clever, most hardworking webcomic artists out there. A real credit to the vastly underrated -- well, to me anyway -- toy photocomic subgenre.)

Also, I think I may have broken Blogger with that image.)

This is a photo from my Collection thread (which I really haven't updated in months) at the Pinoy Toy Kolektors forum.

Minimates on my dining tableFor reasons unknown this silly little "Minimate class picture" of mine was a huge hit over there.

And this was my Minimate collection display from when I (quite foolishly) volunteered to be a PTK exhibitor for last year's ToyCon.

PTK 2009 Minimate displayThere is something oddly gratifying about being sandwiched between Toy Story and Iron Man.

I guess it's not surprising that a vast amount of *something* all in one place can serve as unusually good publicity for that *something*. This, after all, is the very raison d'etre for fairs and conventions, pre-organized events in an expansive space wherein like-minded folk can congregate and talk shop over their common interests, whether it be toys, comics, cars, arts, crafts, or even employment (or lack thereof).

Of course, the worse thing about toys is that even if it only looks like it's comprised of a metric frakton of plastic, it can still look obscenely epic. Case in point, Dave DeGobbi's Lego Crawler town (via Gizmodo).

Dave DeGobbi's Lego Crawler Town
*drool*

No comments:

Post a Comment