June 21, 2010

Ick.

There is a very odd infestation ongoing in our area.

Frankly I have never seen this happen before, and I'm surprised I'm actually scared shitless (if not grossed out) by these things. Currently one of the worst invasive species ("pests" in layman's terms) in the world, it is not the cockroach, it is not the sewer rat, heck, it's not even those wacky janitor fish that all the local government units were buzzing about a few years back.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the East African Land Snail.

East African Land Snail, baby I think
Click on, my friends, as the invasion infestation progresses in all its terrifying glory!



East African Land Snail, on garage wallEast African Land Snail, on the graffiti wallEast African Land Snail... and a tree trunk.East African Land Snail, up a wallEast African Land Snail, up another wall
For some demented reason I get embarrassingly screechy and chicken-hearted whenever I get close (or even moderately close) to these things. And yet I cannot help but find them kinda cute and charming, in their own phlegmy way.

East African Land Snail, a straight oneEast African Land Snail, on the grassEast African Land Snail, closeup
However I would probably much rather get pushed out of an airplane while wrapped in snakes and eating bull's testicles than spend even a minute in a bathtub full of these things. I wonder why I ever developed such an irrational dislike of such an innocuous-looking creature...

Oh yeah.


While other kids watched Batibot or Voltes V growing up, I got this. Well, I also got some kickass Looney Tunes and Hanna-Barbera shorts in those formative years, but that's beside the point.

The point is that somehow, the threat of giant shelled mollusks has retroactively ruined my life.

East African Land Snail clip art by MOTOKI

No comments:

Post a Comment