February 9, 2011

"Coat Fudge" needs to be a movie NOW.

My new favorite webcomic at the moment is Slow Wave. As usual, it took me TV Tropes to discover it, and it took me this webcomic to actually sit and think about some of my actual dreams a bit more.

I haven't finished reading through the archives yet, but so far two of my personal favorite strips are "The Refresher" and "I Hated High School", the former sounding like something that could actually happen in one of my dreams (no, I haven't run over any governors with big rigs in mine) and the latter making me crack up the moment blueberry pancakes were mentioned.

Looking back at some of the few dreams I've managed to recall snatches of the past few months, I have come to the conclusion that I am an insufferable nerd. (I can't go into too many details, but I have officially watched too much Doctor Who.)

Also, I wish I remembered more of my dreams so I'd have more story ideas.

In the meantime, here's an actual coherent dream journal entry... thing I wrote last August 21, 2009:
My more interesting dreams are always the zombie-themed ones.

The other night I was dreaming of this bizarre alternate reality where Simon Pegg's movies "Shaun of the Dead" and "Hot Fuzz" were all part of the same cohesive trilogy... the "prequel" of the former being my dream. The movie is called "Coat Fudge."

In it, Doctor Doom is planning to take over the world with zombies, and only Simon Pegg (who, oddly, is wearing Spock's uniform from Star Trek) and Crystal (from the Inhumans) can stop him. At one point Doom actually pulls his top-secret "how to conjure zombies" book from a nearby bookshelf; turns out it's Max Brooks' World War Z. (I really need to start reading other stuff.) In the end, Crystal gets mauled by zombies and Pegg is passed out cold on a door floating down a river in the middle of a burning, zombie-infested wasteland, at which point "Coat Fudge" ends and the plot of "Shaun of the Dead" starts kicking in.

... I also had this older dream where Torrie, Kari and Grant from Mythbusters are all huddled up in an abandoned cathedral with other survivors while this giant horde of zombies surrounds them. Kari becomes the object of affection of this one creepy sentient zombie that used to be her boyfriend when he was alive, Torrie (in a blatant rip-off of the X-Men "Messiah Complex" story arc) is tasked with protecting this one infant who is apparently the key to staving off the impending zombie apocalypse, and Grant becomes a total bad-ass when he fends off the undead with this fantastic medieval-style cannon he built out of scrap parts lying around. (When Kari asks why he did it, he casually answers, "Couldn't sleep.")


EDIT: Weird, why do all my zombie dreams sound like Marvel Zombies crossovers?! I don't even read comics!

World War Z cover, Max Brooks


P.S. It is probably also a bad idea to browse Cake Wrecks right after reading about weird dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment