February 24, 2011

Desktops

(Originally published in my Multiply blog last February 5, 2008, 10:16 AM Philippine time.

My original desk had been unusable since 2007. I keep meaning to de-clutter, last time I vowed to was sometime right after graduation. Ha. The piles and piles of postcards and Minimate boxes don't help.

Alternate post title: Annals in Pseudo-Intellectualism.)


Study tables pretty much went the way of Discmans and manual cameras, what with the advent of desktop/notebook computers and all. It seems these days only the dinosaur-at-heart or the hopelessly nerdy (or both) still have an actual tabletop where they store their stuff/books, harbor their mundane little obsessions, and only occasionally actually get any work done.

Here is "A Study Table", a trompe l'oeil painting by William Harnett (not to be confused with the First Doctor):

A Study Table, William Harnett
And here are shots of MY study table (the second photo being of my desk in a state of mid-spring cleaning), the second unholy chowder to befall this blog, this time one of newspaper, lost books, meticulously-accumulated CD receipts and the odd Russian nesting doll:

My old desk, front view
My old desk, mid-spring cleaning view
Other miscellaneous sights in these shots include my CD collection, Simone de Beauvoir's The Second Sex, a Joseph Cornell biography and (in the red plastic bag) an actual 18-foot gum wrapper chain.

No comments:

Post a Comment