March 17, 2011

Marble Hornets as a series of Dracula analogies

Warning: This post will not make sense unless you follow Marble Hornets, which I highly recommend by the way. Think of it as a cross between The Ring, The Blair Witch Project and The Mothman Prophecies.

I don't know where I would be in the event that this series ever ended. Where would I be without the weeks of endless lurking and wild speculation on the narrative's eventual final outcome?

I have much respect for the minds behind Marble Hornets, and laud them especially for ushering in such a massively popular phenomenon while juggling college, which is more than I can say for, um, most people.

That being said, I had this bizarre brainstorm wherein I tried to compare the events of MH to that of another, much more iconic tale of classic horror. I'm talking, of course, about Bram Stoker's The Snake's Pass.

Just kidding.

So if we follow the "obvious" route of casting the Operator as the nigh-enigmatic Dracula, then what does that make the rest of the cast?

Besides the Operator himself, one of the most recognizable figures of MH is the Masked Man. The Masked Man's true identity and motive is perhaps one of the most hotly debated topics in MH fan circles, and to unlock the mystery behind him will perhaps bring one that much closer to unraveling the series as a whole.

But what if the Masked Man were but the tip of a proverbial iceberg, or little more than another unwitting pawn against the Operator? While browsing the discussions on the UnFiction forums, I stopped for a moment to consider the possibility that our Mask may in fact be a sort of Van Helsing figure (albeit a very cryptic and ineffective one).

This got the ball rolling. If we have a role for the Operator and the Masked Man then what does that make J? I personally like to think of him as little more than the hapless character-development-in-progress Jonathan Harker of our tale. Amusingly this lead me to imagine Alex as either the Mina, Lucy or Renfield (cringe-inducing mental pictures a la Coppola and Brooks be damned).

I need more coffee soda.

No comments:

Post a Comment