April 19, 2011

Music For A Movie

Educational factoid of the day: The song "Never Let Me Go" (for the novel Never Let Me Go, later the movie Never Let Me Go) is not a real song.

Or at least it wasn't. Until now.



To crib shamelessly from the YouTube video description film critic Peter Howell's article in The Star about the song's conception:
... Judy Bridgewater isn’t real. The album is also fake, although it looks genuine, right down to the track listings: “Wanted,” “Dance With Me,” “Never Let Me Go,” “Moonlight Drive,” “Light Over The Hill” and “Crying Over You.”

The album cover shows an elegant woman lounging on a settee, a cigarette with holder in her hand, as she stares a come hither (or get lost) look.

Bridgewater and Songs After Dark are part of the elaborate fiction of Never Let Me Go, a 2005 sci-fi novel by British author Kazuo Ishiguro that is the basis of Mark Romanek’s affecting new film by the same name.

The singer and the album become the fascination of Kathy H., the story’s central character, played by Carey Mulligan.
Holy carp! World-building in action!

Then again (SPOILER ALERT), I did already hear somewhere that the plot of Never Let Me Go sounds like an artsier, less crappy take on The Island anyway. Factor in the novel's mild alternate history angle, and I guess some fictionalized filigree was inevitable.

Going back to the song, it really does sound like something my grandparents might have played on their old record player, possibly even danced to on their first date back in the Fifties. (Or do I mean their Fifties? Fifties the decade, I mean, not Fifties the age. And their Fifties, erm, the actual Fifties, not the Fifties as depicted in the book. Ow, my head.)

My point is that the song is genuinely lovely. I was never really much of an Old Standards kind of girl (though that might be bound to change once I reach my Spinster phase of existence), but this really does feel like a song I could enjoy playing constantly alongside my Asin or Johnny Cash albums. To confuse things even further, it appears the song mentioned in the book is a separate entity from the song that actually gets played in the movie-- You know what? The song is lovely. Can we just leave it at that and move on?!

No comments:

Post a Comment